Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Trees and Christmas Cookies

Well, it has been a while. I know a lot of you out there probably know why I am busier than usual and not blogging like as much as I usually do - but for those of who don't know - Bryan is on a one year remote assignment in Manta, Ecuador. He left November 2nd and so I have been a single mom for the last month and a half - and will continue as such for the next 10 and 1/2 months - yes I AM counting! Just a few details about the assignment, - for those of you who already know, just skip to the next paragraph! Bryan is the Director of Operations (2nd in command) of the Forward Operating Location in Manta - their mission there is anti-drug enforcement. He is enjoying the job, it is giving him leadership experience and he will be flying again a year sooner than if he remained in Tucson for another two years - which was the other option at this point. This also almost certainly ensures he won't be doing a year in a less desirable locale - ie Iraq or Korea. The other plus to this assignment is he will be coming back to Tucson for conferences where he can then take leave on either end and be home for a "visit". So far I am doing great - the kids are doing great as well.

I have a great support network here, and just yesterday one of my worst fears came true when I got a stomach virus that knocked me out all day. My dear friend Kay came to my rescue and watched the kids for a few hours so I could get in a good nap after being up most of the night. The rest of the day I was on the couch while the kids watched movies - Emma took a long nap in the afternoon and I got to take one too. In the end, I made it, and things are good again today!

The kids and I have been having fun getting ready for Christmas - so I will share a few pictures (OK more than a few) of Christmas tree and decorating Christmas cookies...




The tree is definitely bottom heavy this year! I basically handed the kids the ornaments and they put them on the tree - I did stand up and do some myself up top, but a lot ended up on the bottom! I decided not to stress it - the kids had fun, that is all that really matters!



Great shot! Except I didn't get all of the star in, let me try again.


Rebekah, sit up straight - Alex, honey, look at the camera!

I guess this one will have to do!



Cookie time!







Rebekah was running around in her undewear before we did cookies, I told her to get dressed because I was going to take pictures, and I didn't want her to be naked. So she put on her dress-up dress and she did her own hair.

I just want to point out how Alex has stacked his decorating containers
I love that I got that in the picture - because that is so typical Alex!





I gave Emma a plain cookie to munch on while we decorated. After we were done I thought OH I should take a picture of Emma eating one! Well, she was done, but I salvaged a piece from her bib and I got a couple of shots.



What a cutie-pie! I am so blessed!

These are the ones the kids decorated - and the ones THEY get to eat!

No comments: