Thursday, September 18, 2008

The latest in potty training

****DISCLAIMER**** The word poop is used excessively in this post, if this word offends you in any way, I am sorry, it is what it is.

I have conceded to the fact that most of the excitement in my life at this time comes from my children. Monday was an especially exciting day in my life because Alex POOPED IN THE POTTY!!!!!! I can't tell you how thrilled I was that he actually did it! I have been waiting 6 months for this event to occur. I was sure we had made a major breakthrough.

I was wrong.

Tuesday and Wednesday both passed with no successful potty pooping. On top of that it seemed I would ask him if he needed to go potty and then 5 minutes later he would say "Mommy I'm poopy!"

I admit, I was annoyed. Why can't this kid just use the potty!

Yes yes, I know boys take longer than girls, he will do it when he is ready blah blah BLAH! What about me, I'M READY NOW!

OK, that sounds really angry, I'm really not all that angry, just tired, so very tired of all the
poopy
Pull-Ups and really frustrated because I KNOW Alex knows EXACTLY what to do it just seems the connection gets lost when he is actually DOING it.

Last week at Bible Study a friend of mine mentioned that her brother and sister-in-law or her sister and brother-in-law, I can't remember now which, gave their son a Hot Wheels car every time he went poop. Last week that seemed a little excessive. This week it seemed like a BRILLIANT solution! Bryan is away this week and before I went off to buy 20 Hot Wheels I decided to run the idea by him - and actually he kind of mentioned trying an new incentive so I mentioned it to him, he also thought it was BRILLIANT.

I love him.

So today after dropping Rebekah off at preschool Alex and I made a trip to Target. (For those of you who are wondering Emma came along too!) I kind of explained what we were doing and that we were going to pick out a toy but he couldn't have it until after he went poo poo on the potty. He seemed to get it. So we go to the toy car aisle and he immediately went to the bottom shelf where all the BIG ($20) trucks were and picked out several that he would like. I quickly tried to redirect his attention to some smaller cars but he wouldn't be easily pulled away from the wonder of the giant bulldozer that played music. So I came up with another BRILLIANT solution and told him if he went poo poo on the potty for a week we could come back and get a BIG toy. Then I explained it again about 500 or 10 more times and then finally I just put him in the cart, showed him the little package of Tonka trucks I picked out and then we moved on.

What I forget is that 2 year olds live very in the moment and by the time we got to the checkout line he was very excited about his little trucks. We got to talking about all of them and I asked him which one he was going to pick first and he said the fire engine. So all day we have been talking about getting the fire engine.

He did great all day and kept his Pull Up dry, except for one small incident at Bible Study, but I can hardly blame him for that one! I kept asking him and asking him if he had to go poo poo and the answer came back no every time. He went pee pee TONS probably more than he ever has before which is really good too but no poo poo. I was disappointed, I really wanted him to have success TODAY so I could reinforce it all - but bedtime came and no poop.

Then about 5 minutes after he went to bed he came out and said he had to go pee pee. So he got on the potty and then all of a sudden I could see the strain in his face and I said "ARE YOU GOING POO POO???!!" He said "Ya" I ran and got the trucks! Ya'll his little face was SO EXCITED when he got his little fire engine. It was a happy moment for me. So since it was bedtime I told him he could sleep with his fire engine. A happy little boy went to bed tonight.

So here's hoping tomorrow goes just as well. I have 7 more little Tonka trucks waiting for a little boy to go poop!







Tell me that isn't the most PRECIOUS thing you have EVER seen in your ENTIRE life!

No comments: