Friday, August 29, 2008

Go Broncos!

Today is a monumental day. A day to go down in the history books - at least the history of the Shumways. Today I am going to a professional football game AND I am excited. Yes ladies and gentlemen, it is happening, I am going to sit through an ENTIRE football game and I'm pretty sure I am going to enjoy the entire thing. My dear husband Bryan couldn't be happier.

Let me just explain WHY this is such a monumental event.

I have never really WATCHED footabll. Growing up my dad and brother we quite the football fans and when I was little I knew a few names Danny White, Tony Dorsett, because my brother Jim talked about them CONSTANTLY and would pretend to BE them dressed in his little Cowboy uniform. My dad was a big Bronco fan so of course I knew John Elway. I was sitting in the living room when Joe Theisman broke is leg - Wow! That's pretty good that you remember that it was Joe Theisman, not being a football fan - you might say. Do you know how I remember?

Phonetically Theisman is THIGHsman - he broke his LEG

Growing up Dad and Jim were downstairs watching football while Mom and I played Yahtzee or Bible Trivia or watched movies. Girls didn't watch football. I did watch the Super Bowl most years, but that was only because there was a party involved. If the Cowboys or the Broncos were playing I would feign mild interest just because those were the teams my dad and brother cared about - and usually there was some guy at the party I was trying to impress. One year, that "guy" was Bryan.

The one thing I didn't think about when feigning interest that day in 1998 was that one day I would be MARRIED to this guy and my cover would be blown. Football season of 1999 started and I couldn't be less interested in what was happening. Bryan was devastated. Who WAS this woman he thought he married! Here he thought he had hooked a good one who even if she didn't like to watch ALL football at least was a Broncos fan and would watch those games with him. I would give a half hearted try every now and then, and usually make through half of the first quarter and then go read a book.

Over the last 9 years Bryan has tried DESPERATELY to get me interested. My argument has been "Women just aren't into football." Which thanks to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law who are HUGE Clemson fans and season ticket holders, Bryan knew was not true. So over the years, every football season I give it another try - I try to make it through more and more of a game - and really I do enjoy what I DO watch, it's just hard to hold my interest through an entire game. Last year my mother-in-law gave me good advice, if you can only keep interest though 1 quarter, make it the last quarter - it's the most exciting. So that's what I did, and I really enjoyed it!

So today is the beginning of a new era of the Shumway household. An era where Julie likes to watch football! I'm still not sure I can make it through an entire televised game, but I am trying...

1 comment:

The Pitchers said...

I like this entry... it's cute! :) Of course, I'm trying to figure out how you have trouble watching a whole game ;-). Actually, I'm a big college FB fan... Big 12 conf more specifically, but the NFL is growing on me. Scott's a Redskins fan. I watch the games with him but in the past I wasn't all that into it like my college games. But last year we started fantasy FB... and now, I'm pretty into the NFL. My trick.. I learned more about the NFL players via Fantasy FB and that sparked my NFL interest. So now, we watch college on Sat..and NFL on Sun... and then we catch the games on Thurs, Fri and Monday as well. My goodness, what do we do on Tuesday and Wednesday? ;-)