Monday, February 18, 2008

Welcome Emma Elizabeth Shumway!

Emma Elizabeth Shumway was born February 16th at 3:20 pm. She weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. and is 20 1/4 inches long.

I went into the hospital on Friday for a non stress test on the baby, since my blood pressure has been high. The baby looked great but my blood pressure was higher than it had been on previous visits, so after consulting with the doctor on duty decided it would be best to induce that night. I was already feeling light contractions, so they gave me something to nudge me along. By 2:00 am I was in active labor. By 7:00 am (or around then) I was dilated to 8cm and 5 hours later I had made little progress. I decided I had endured enough and to get things going a little faster I opted for a epidural and pitocin to get this baby on her way! We waited another hour or so for me to fully dilate and then after 50 minutes of pushing (not my strong point!) Emma was here!

Alex and Rebekah were SO excited to see thier baby sister. They passed up Mommy and went straight to her. They are still quite enamored with her and love to hold her. Rebekah really does a great job - Alex gives her about 20 kisses and hugs every time he holds her.

So the following pictures are of the "birth day" and the morning after when Alex and Rebekah brought "birthday presents" for Emma. I have a few more on the camera that I will hopefully download soon. Also some precious video - that takes a bit longer to get ready to put on the blog, so it may be a few days before you see that.



Weight


Length


Hi Daddy!
(too cute! the nurse took this one!)


head circumference







Birthday presents for Emma







1 comment:

The Wellspring said...

These pictures are all so beautiful! Remember to take and post lots of Emma...the THIRD child. As the fourth child in the family, this is my advice to you. he he he Remember to watch Emma's eyelashes grow - it's something you can see happening each day!