Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trying to beat the heat!

Hey all, it has been a while since I have posted. Summer is in full swing. The main agenda of my summer is to stay as cool as possible! It got up to 106 today - that is just TOO HOT!!! Why do people even want to LIVE in this state? Well, OK I guess for 4 whole months out of the year it is a bearable climate, but good grief! It is just way too hot! There are actually people here who LOVE it too, and every time I go somewhere I count at LEAST 5 people BIKING, it's 106 degrees people! WHY are you exercising? And then people say, well yeah but it's a DRY heat. I have determined that WET or DRY it doesn't matter, it's HEAT - that's the problem! I guess I'm just an Idaho girl at heart (go spuds!) and cool weather is just in my blood.

So SINCE it is so stinkin' HOT down here, we have been doing our best to stay cool and the best way to do that is to SWIM. Alex and Rebekah are taking swimming lessons. They are Polliwogs, how cute is that! Rebekah is really close to graduating to GOLDFISH for the next class - so cute! They are doing really well, the class size is very small so they get a lot of one on one attention. The goal for Polliwogs is to float on your back for 5 seconds alone and then "glide" for 8 feet. Rebekah has the back float down, and is almost gliding - she just needs to work on her kicking. Alex is just having fun! He can float for 2 seconds!

So here are some pics of the first day of class.


Alex's teacher is giving the rules

Alex learning the glide.

Rebekah doing the glide and blowing out bubbles.

Rebekah learning the back float.

The other thing getting us through the heat is our friends the Fishers who have a pool. We go there every Thursday for Bible Study, and this summer we have been swimming. So below is a picture of all the kids enjoying a Popsicle after a swim.

No comments: